In 1962, 19 vine growers from San Marzano, whose families had farmed the land for generations, combined their efforts to establish ‘Cantine San Marzano’. Through the decades this coooperative has grown significantly, attracting over 1200 vine growers, using modern and technologically advanced plants and producing elegant wines without forgetting the obligation to the ancient Apulian wine traditions. Nowadays the melding of time honoured tradition, passion and sensibility with contemporary techniques enables this winery to produce wines with distinctive varietals and regional characters, marvellously reflecting individual attention, seasonal variation and local terroir.
The grapes are produced in very old vineyards selected in San Marzano and Sava, planted at a density of 5000 bush vines per hectare. The soil is mainly red with a fine texture and is generally calcareous with few emerging rocks. The well-known redness of these soils is due to the presence of iron oxides. The climate is characterised by high temperatures all year round, very little rainfall and a wide diurnal temperature ranges, which has a positive influence on the quality of the grapes. This is the central area of D.O.P. “Primitivo di Manduria”. The harvest takes place during the second half of September.
The grapes were hand-harvested once they had reached an advanced state of ripening. 80% of the must was macerated for a period of 18 days, with the remaining 20% being macerated for slightly longer – 25 days, gaining complexity and layering in the final wine. The thermo-controlled alcoholic fermentation took place at temperatures of 24 to 26°C. The wine was then matured for 18 months in fine French and American wood barrels.
Deep and complex flavours of prunes, black cherry, spice and tobacco weave through the full bodied palate with its velvety texture and long, savoury finish. Quite delicious.