Villa Cialdini Pignoletto Sparkling Brut Modena 2018

£13.44

Free shipping on all orders above £120

*UK mainland only

Tasting Notes

This wine is straw yellow in colour with youthful highlights. There are distinctive aromas of pear, apple and light floral notes, which are enhanced by its fine and persistent bubbles. It has bright acidity on the palate with a characteristically refreshing finish.

Feature

Vegan, Vegetarian

Vineyards

The Pignoletto vines are cultivated on the hills between Modena and Bologna, at an altitude of between 100 and 250 metres above sea level, in optimum conditions to produce a white wine with a delicate nose and good structure. The gradual slopes are formed of clay and calcareous soil with a slightly alkaline pH. The clones are obtained from a mass selection of the company’s ancient vineyards; these are traceable back to the Grechetto Gentile varietal which was introduced in the area around 1400 AD. The vines are planted at a density of 4,000 vines/ha and are Guyot trained.

Vinification

After harvest, 20% of the grapes were pressed and underwent a short maceration. The other 80% was softly whole bunch pressed at a controlled temperature. The must was cold settled and alcoholic fermentation with selected yeasts took place in stainless steel vats at low temperatures. The second fermentation occurred in pressurised steel vats (cuve close) at 16-18°C for about 90 days. After this, the wine was stabilised at -3°C for 10 days before it was bottled under pressure.

Producer

Villa Cialdini is the main house of the Azienda Agricola Castelvetro, an estate southeast of Modena that has been owned by the Chiarli family since 1860. Cousins Anselmo and Mauro Chiarli, who manage the family company, started the Castelvetro project in 2002. Their idea – ambitious today, let alone in 2002 – was to build a state of the art winery to produce top quality Lambrusco. They spent a year renovating the winery and then, using the property’s old vineyards, began production in 2003. The estate is comprised of 70 hectares, of which 52 are planted to vine on the undulating alluvial deposits typical of the Padana plain.

VINTAGE

COLOUR

ABV

SIZE

PRODUCT-TYPE

PRODUCER

CLOSURE

COUNTRY